Saturday, April 18, 2009

God's Music Standards

My mom used to be my Sunday School teacher when I was younger. One Sunday, she passed out a little slip of paper to each of us in her class, listing "God's Music Standards." I saved the paper and thought I would share it with you! You can apply these standards to movies and books as well.

Does this song honor God and His ways?
1 Corinthians 10:31 says, "Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God."

Does this song help me think on what is right and true?
Philippians 4:8 says, "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

Does this song reinforce my faith?
Romans 14:22-23 says, "Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth. And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin."

Does this song approve what God condemns?
Proverbs 19:27 says, "Cease, my son, to hear the instruction that causeth to err from the words of knowledge."

Do the words of this song displease God?
Ephesians 4:29 says, "Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers."

Can I listen to this song in the name of the Lord Jesus?
Colossians 3:17 says, "And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him."

Do my parents approve of this song?
Colossians 3:20 says, "Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord."

Will listening to this song offend the Holy Spirit, Who lives in me?
1 Corinthians 6:19-20 says, "What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the HOly Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's."

I keep mine posted on my fridge, but I think I need some extra reminders. Maybe I'll put one by my t.v., by my cd player...maybe you should too :)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is SO GOOD!

1:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That was me (Anne), by the way.

1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good ones. I'll go put on our Sunday morning music.... Bluegrass gospel hymns. So cool. :)

4:09 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Yes, I remember. Your father in law spoke at our church a few times when we were between pastors. I believe that your husband was just graduating Depot at the time.

We are in the middle of a transfer, moving back home to Ontario. We have to sell the house first though. It is our first transfer since Depot and it is kinda complicated.

It is good to meet another 'Mountie's wife' that shares my faith, I don't know about your experience but I have found very few and the ones that I do know are all at a distance.

God bless,
Christina
(which is my blog name, I changed all our names so if you ask if anyone know me, they won't recognize the name.)

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home