Friday, January 26, 2007

Brace Yourself....For My First BRF!!!

Greetings fellow bloggers...

It's time for my very first book review Friday. If you only knew how intimidating this is to me!! But it won't get easier unless I actually start doing it, so here I am. As soon as I started typing I started second guessing myself...did I even read the right book this week?!

I won't lie. I didn't read the whole book, every day of the week. Some days I made it through all of it, somedays I made it through half. But it's a start, right?! :)

So here she goes...

In verse 15 of chapter one, it says that Christ came to save sinners. Sometimes I forget I'm a sinner. Crazy eh. I'm a pretty good girl. Always have been. But my standard of good and God's standard of good are SO TOTALLY DIFFERENT. And if I forget that I'm a sinner, then I'm probably not striving to live a life that is totally pleasing to God.

In the same chapter, verse 17 seems like it should be the words to a song. "Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, to God who alone is wise, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen." If it were a song, it would probably be one that I couldn't get through without struggling to stay dry-eyed, like "It is Well" and "How Great Thou Art".

Chapter 2:4 says that God desires all men to be saved. I should have that same desire. I should be sharing the gospel with everyone I know. I can't even pinpoint why I don't. I'm scared of reactions, scared I won't have answers to people's questions, etc, etc, etc...the excuses go on and on. But in reality, the King is coming and time is running out to let people know about the greatest decision they could ever make.

Chapter 4:7 says to exercise toward godliness. I have been thinking of that word a bit (a lot!) differently since prayer meeting on Wednesday night. The way Pastor Gary described the word godliness made me stop and really think. To be godly means to ACT LIKE GOD. To portray the characteristics of God. I'm pretty sure I've never been called 'godly' before, which is a good thing because I have never earned that label. It's time for me to smarten up, read my Bible and find out more about the God I serve, and start putting the new things I learn into practice. I want to be a godly woman!!!

I'm glad I took part this week. I haven't read any reviews yet, and will probably want to edit my post once I do check out what you all had to say :) But I know that I have been convicted, and encouraged, and already looking forward to next week's review!!!

ps...the re-test Jonathan was scheduled to do for the rcmp on Feb 22 was changed. It's now NEXT TUESDAY, as in 4 days away!!! Please pray for him. He's not exactly sure what this test will be like and he obviously wants to do really well!! And the sooner he gets out west, the sooner he gets back to me and our baby :)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You had nothing to worry about. You're review is really really good. Thanks so much so much s'much!

5:42 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

wow. good job rookie :) Mine was so lame so lame so lame this week. dang. I learned a lot from you. thanks.

6:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'll try again.. my last comment went to "This page cannot be displayed" land. Ch 1 vs 17 is a song. We used to sing it a lot in church when I was a kid. Everytime I read through ch 1 I had to stop to sing that verse to myself. I tried to just read it but it demanded its tune!! I could sing it for you, but you'd really be crying then! Good blog.. it was my first week too. I was more afraid to use Mr Linky than anything else!!

7:57 PM  
Blogger Seven said...

Martha beat me to it. "Immortal, invisible, God only wise. In light inaccessible, hid from our eyes..." We sang it at NBBI. Tim Hawman always picked it for favourites.

Great review. So exciting to see new names on the list.

8:35 PM  
Blogger Home Sweet Home said...

Great to see you joining in the Book Review Friday. I must admit it took a lot of courage for me to post my first review as well. I am encouraged from the different truths that each of you share. I will pray for your husband's test on Tuesday:)

11:40 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I wanted to be first to tell you that it is a song (that's in a whiny voice!) Guess I should have read reviews earlier than Monday morning! Great review!

6:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home