Wednesday, December 12, 2007

It was a good sunday morning...

About a month ago we went to my sisters house for a weekend visit. I love being so close to her, only a few hours drive and we are there! And I love going to her church. It's a solid-Bible-believing-Gospel-preaching church. Sadly, those churches seem to be a minority these days.

Anywho...

We were sitting in the back row of the church for the Sunday morning service. We sang a few hymns...let me tell you, these people can sing!! They all belt out the hymns and I struggle to stay composed everytime we are there. After the singing, the Pastor got up to make some announcements. They were the typical Sunday morning announcements, and then the Pastor told us about an email he recieved.

Another Independent Baptist Church in Newfoundland was having some struggles. They were dwindling in numbers, so small in fact that for some services only the pastor's family was there. It's not that people didn't want to come to church, but for one reason or another some people had no transportation. The pastor had been picking people up but this was not working out. The pastor tried to purchase a big van, but did not have the sufficient funds. He was praying about this matter and asked other churches to do the same.

Pastor H from Anne's church was really bothered by this. It absolutely broke his heart that people could not get to church. He was emotional, and had to stop to compose himself.

At that moment, the pastor's son jumped up (also emotional) and said he would donate $200 to the Newfoundland church's van fun and then said, "Who's with me?!"

Hands instantly popped up all over the church, and people started shouting out amounts that they would also donate. Within minutes, about $2000 was pledged. And there was less than 100 people in the sanctuary.

It was the most amazing and touching thing I have ever witnessed.

You should have seen me. I don't even know people at this church and I was a mess. Forget about trying not to cry...I was just trying not to blubber loudly and offer a whole ton of money that I didn't have.

I hope and pray that my heart will be changed, to be more like Pastor H. I want my heart to break when I hear of people who can't get to church.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And.... I was in the nursery. But it was almost as good as being there to have Erin tell me after, as she had to stop to compose herself several times.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Annabella said...

Oops. Anonymous is me. Anne Katerina Doreyofski Doreykovi Doreyboo.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Anne, can we come live with you and your church??? :)

6:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, that's great! I had some tears welling up just reading about it :)

1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

waiting for you Christmas home tour... :)

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home