(view from our front window...)
Here's a little tip...
When you move to an island in the Hudson Bay with three little kids, and your personal effects aren't arriving for a week after you do, BRING STUFF FOR YOUR KIDS TO DO IN YOUR LUGGAGE. We had 11 checked bags at the airport, and apparently I wasn't thinking straight. I brought a few books, and very few toys. My girls are getting bored! We have been giving creativity our best shot, but with almost nothing in this house, it's tricky.
But with that being said...our stuff arrives today!!! One week plus a day after our arrival...not too shabby. My sister-in-law moved north and her stuff took 45 days to get there, so I'd say we did pretty good. The moving company flew in two people to help get our stuff from the airport to our house and unpack for us. I may have brought a lot of stuff, so I'm thankful for the help today!
Our first week in Nunavut has flown by. The people here are very friendly, the weather hasn't been too bad (-7 today!!), and I haven't bumped into a polar bear yet.
Our island is known for it's soapstone carvings, and during our first week we bought 7!! The local men come right to our door with their newest carvings. We bought a little owl for each of the girls treasure boxes, and have a start on some gifts for friends and family. It's hard to say no, but we are getting better at not buying every carving they bring to us!
We have already celebrated a birthday since arriving. Glad I packed streamers and balloons in my suitcase! Hubby turned the big 2-9!! He got a new guitar, and I'm looking forward to him learning some chords and singing to us! We had homemade big macs for supper...so good!! I think the other guys were happy to give up their canned beans and come for dinner!
The school here is so interesting! The front entrance is a museum, it even has stuffed polar bears! We also checked out the school gym, where all the kids from primary to grade 12 were playing a dice game. The girls were swarmed instantly by all the local kids! They do not speak good English, the would just point at each girl and say, "Name?!". This is a dry community, so there is not supposed to be any alcohol at all. Sadly though, there were a ton of kids that obviously had FAS.
That's all I've got for now...I'll get some before/after shots of our house and post them once we are all settled!! I am so excited to get our stuff!!

3 Comments:
I enjoyed what you've written in here tremendously, I think you have great writng skills. It's nice your belongings arrived today.
Alf
So glad you started up again. This will be one blog I'll be sure to read. :)
horray for blogging! its a good way to keep tabs on ya :)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home